ulation of Istanbul
When the global ranking is considered, Istanbul which was called Constantinople in the past, ranks as the fifth most crowded city. Back in those days, Istanbul was also the largest city in the world. As January 2014 data shows, the population of the Istanbul is 14,160,467. This population corresponds to 18.5% of the total population of Turkey which is 76,667,864 as of January 2014. Istanbul is called a transcontinental city; meaning the city is located on two continents. In this case, these continents are Asia and Europe. Due to this geographical location, Istanbul has been the heart of history, economy and culture throughout the history. History, culture, economy and many other factors make Istanbul an attractive place among people living in Turkey and other countries of the world.
Population Growth In Istanbul
After the declaration of the Republic of Turkey, population of Istanbul has grown even further. Especially, rapid growth in population of Istanbul was experienced during the second half of 20th century. Between 1950 and 2000, population of the city increased almost. Currently, population growth rate in Istanbul is estimated to be at 3.45%. This growth rate makes Istanbul the fastest growing city. Also, Istanbul is ranked among 78 largest metropolitans in the world. Furthermore, as Istanbul has become the main attraction and economic center, population in this city tends to increase every year. Such increase is linked with job opportunities as well as cultural factors.
Demographics Of Istanbul
Currently, population density of Istanbul is 2,523 people per square kilometer. Compared to population density of Turkey, which is 102 people per square kilometer, this number is huge. Istanbul has small surface area. Yet, population of the city is high. For this reason, Istanbul is considered as the densest city in Turkey. Population is distributed to both European side and Asian side. Most people living in Istanbul have immigrated from other cities. It is believed that only 28% of residents of Istanbul are born in this city.
Major Ethnıc Groups In Turkey
Approximately 80% of population of Turkey consist of Turkish people. Remaining 20% is formed by different ethnic groups. Like many other countries around the world, Turkey also houses many different ethnic groups. These ethnic groups form the diverse culture of this country. Although people in different ethnic groups continue their traditions, every individual within the borders of the Republic of Turkey are considered Turkish citizens. Unlike other countries, racism and ethnical discrimination in Turkey is rare.
The Major ethnic groups in Turkey can be listed as follows:
- Laz people
However, there are also other ethnic groups in Turkey. Some of these are Karachays, Azerbaijanis, Sephardi Jews, Gajal, Circassians and many others. Ethnics groups in Turkey are dispersed in the country. However, there are some exceptions as well. For example, while majority of Laz people live in Eastern Black Sea Region, majority of Kurdish and Zaza people live in East Anatolian Region. People in these ethnic groups also live in Istanbul.
If you want to visit this historical city, you can now book one of our tours by using your credit card, bank card or other payment method. With our secure payment system and extensive tour options like Hagia Sophia guided tour, you can experience best places in Istanbul.